Nuits-Saint-Georges `Le Coteau des Bois`, Jean-Claude Boisset, Burgundy, France, 2017
Jean-Claude Boisset was radically transformed with the arrival in 2002 of viniculteur Grégory Patriat, one of the best viticulturalists/winemakers of his generation in Burgundy. Grégory had spent the previous three years working in the vineyards at Domaine Leroy and still spends a great deal of his time in the vineyards, paying his growers by the hectare in order to ensure low yields. He also prefers to work with organic growers, as he finds they produce better fruit. Unlike other Burgundian négociants, Grégory specialises in making wines from 'lieu-dits' or tiny plots of vines, something which accounts for the limited production of most of his wines. The grapes were harvested into small crates, then carefully sorted at the winery. The grapes were 100% destemmed but not crushed, and gravity fed into stainless steel tanks. Fermentation took place using only indigenous yeast and lasted for 23 days, with gentle pigeage to extract colour. The wine was aged for 16 months in French oak barrels, 35% new. It was lightly filtered before it was bottled in April 2018. Halfway between Dijon and Beaune and with an easterly exposure, the vineyards of Nuits-Saint-Georges cover six kilometres, with 160 hectares of Village-appellation vines. The range of soils, exposure and locations here creates a great diversity of sites. This vineyard, ‘Coteau des Bois’ is located on the slopes of Nuit-Saint-Georges, which you can see from the roof of Jean-Claude Boisset's winery. As the name suggests, the vines are on the hillside adjacent to a small forest, 'Bois de Charmois'. Gregory only uses the fruit from the top part of the slope in order to achieve a wine with great freshness. The vines are planted on clay and silt soils and have an easterly exposure.
Food pairing ideas:
the most renowned specialties are coq au vin, beef bourguignon, fondue bourguignonne, escargots de Bourgogne, la matelote d'anguille à la bourguignonne (eels stewed in wine sauce), and gougères (cheese puffs). 100% Pinot Noir .
A bright ruby colour in the glass with aromas of crunchy red cherry, sweet spice and subtle smoky notes. On the palate the flavours are well concentrated, with silky tannins and bright acidity giving the wine great structure and length.
Winemaker: Grégory Patriat
Alcohol (ABV): 12.5 %
Acidity: 6 g/l
- We deliver on Thursdays and Fridays (cut off for orders respectively Monday and Tuesday at 10am).
- We deliver any order value, however you can get free delivery for orders above £100.
- We deliver Nationwide.
- Products can also be picked up Wednesday to Friday at our sister restaurant in Chiswick, London.
- If you are not happy with the quality of the products received, you can email us at email@example.com or call us on 07436569357 or use the live chat on our website. Our customer service team will do everything in their power to fix it!
- If you are unsure about any of the above or you have any other questions, just contact us and our team will answer any of your questions: we don't use bots and you will find only real people to talk to.