Muscadet Sèvre et Maine Sur Lie, Château du Coing de St. Fiacre, Loire, France, 2020
Château du Coing is located in the village of Saint Fiacre, in the Sèvre et Maine district of Muscadet. The current owner and winemaker, Véronique Günther-Chéreau, decided in 1990 to return to her family's estate after achieving a doctorate degree in pharmacy. Véronique's family had been making wine at Saint Fiacre since 1421, and she grew up on the estate. In 2011, her daughter Aurore joined the family domaine, following her biology and oenology studies in Dijon.The grapes were gently pressed. Fermentation took place in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks at 20°C over two to three weeks. After fermentation, the wine was matured on lees for six months in tank before bottling. The bottling of 'Sur Lie' wines cannot legally start until after the first Thursday in the March following the vintage. 2018 was a great year both in terms of the quality and quantity of fruit produced. Compared to the frosts of the previous year, conditions in spring were favourable and flowering took place in June. The vines benefitted from a warm and dry summer, which alleviated disease pressure in the vineyard and allowed the fruit to reach full maturity. Château du Coing is sourced from Véronique's 40 hectares of Muscadet vines, which lie at the meeting point of the Sèvre and Maine rivers, where the distinctive gneiss soils give a particularly racy, fragrant style of Muscadet. Unusually for an area dominated by the négociants, Château du Coing is family-run and uses only estate-grown fruit and since 2010, they have been working to convert all of their vineyards to organic viticulture. The vines here are on average 65 years old, lending depth and richness to the finished wine.
Food Pairing: As it is a white wine, it's hardly surprising that Muscadet works very well when pairing with seafood. Mussels, oysters, scallops, and shrimp are popular foods to eat with the wine. Additionally, the wine works well when paired with salmon and chicken. In terms of vegetables, Muscadet is also fairly versatile.
Pale lemon in colour with a slight pétillance, this is a lovely wine with aromas of fresh peach and green apple. The palate is vibrant with concentrated flavours of citrus fruit and white flowers, which are well-balanced with crisp acidity.The time spent on lees brings complex toasty aromas and adds richness to the finished wine. 100% Melon de Bourgogne .
Feature(s): Vegan, Vegetarian
Winemaker: Véronique Günther-Chéreau
Alcohol (ABV): 12.5 %
Acidity: 6.07 g/l
Residual sugar: 1 g/l
- We deliver on Thursdays and Fridays (cut off for orders respectively Monday and Tuesday at 10am).
- We deliver any order value, however you can get free delivery for orders above £100.
- We deliver Nationwide.
- Products can also be picked up Wednesday to Friday at our sister restaurant in Chiswick, London.
- If you are not happy with the quality of the products received, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07436569357 or use the live chat on our website. Our customer service team will do everything in their power to fix it!
- If you are unsure about any of the above or you have any other questions, just contact us and our team will answer any of your questions: we don't use bots and you will find only real people to talk to.