Munster, also known as Munster Géromé is a soft washed rind cheese made from milk produced by cows living in the regions between Alsace, Lorraine and Franche-Comté in France. The name Munster is derived from the little town of Munster where Vosgian abbeys and monasteries used to make this cheese since the Middle Ages.
Traditional Munster is protected by an Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée (AOC) which requires the cheese be made from unpasteurised cow's milk called crude milk. The soft and creamy cheese also comes flavoured with cumin and tastes best when accompanied with a good beer. As with washed rind cheeses, Munster have a red coating on the rind that is slightly humid due to repeated washings. Other than protecting the cheese, the rind is also responsible for a strong, penetrating aroma and tangy taste.
The best Munster cheeses are produced in the summer and autumn when the cows graze on the 'high stubble' of the Vosges. This cheese has a very high fat content of 45-50%. Gewurztraminer or full-bodied red wines nicely complement Munster. If you're a potato and cheese lover try Munster with potatoes, salad and finely chopped onions.
Made from unpasteurized cow's milk
Country of origin: France
Region: Vosges, Haut-Rhin, Bas-Rhin
Type: soft, smear-ripened
Fat content: 45-50%
Texture: creamy, smooth & sticky
Flavour: savory, tangy
Aroma: stinky, strong
Alternative spellings: Munster fermente, Munster gerome, Munster-géromé
- We deliver on Thursdays and Fridays (cut off for orders respectively Monday and Tuesday at 10am).
- We deliver any order value, however you can get free delivery for orders above £100.
- We deliver Nationwide.
- Products can also be picked up Wednesday to Friday at our sister restaurant in Chiswick, London.
- If you are not happy with the quality of the products received, you can email us at email@example.com or call us on 07436569357 or use the live chat on our website. Our customer service team will do everything in their power to fix it!
- If you are unsure about any of the above or you have any other questions, just contact us and our team will answer any of your questions: we don't use bots and you will find only real people to talk to.