Mercurey `Le Roc Blanc`, Château de Santenay, Burgundy, France, 2020
This magnificent property, which dates back to the 9th century, is also known as Château Philippe le Hardi, as it was once owned by the first Duc of Burgundy. Philippe le Hardi is famous as the person who banned the cultivation of Gamay in the Côte d'Or, saying in his edict of 1395 that only Pinot Noir could be used in the production of red wines from the already fabled slopes. Despite its long history, the property had fallen on hard times until it was taken over by the French bank Crédit Agricole in recent years. After crushing in a pneumatic press, the must was settled for 12 hours then fermented in oak barrels. The wine was aged on its lees and spent 12 months in oak, of which 20% was new, before bottling.n 2017, Burgundy enjoyed a return to average yields. Some areas were impacted by spring frosts which reduced yields slightly. Generally the vines’ growth cycle benefitted from an early budburst at the beginning of April, followed by a very warm summer. Ripening progressed at a good pace with the first grapes being harvested across the region two weeks ahead of average. The fruit for the Mercurey 'Le Roc Blanc' comes from Chateau de Santenay's 72 hectares of vines planted across the Mercurey appellation. The soils are rich in clay, with limestone still very evident alongside some areas of marl. These characteristics give the white wines of Mercurey a strong structure and a beautiful texture.
This white Mercurey is perfect with an extensive cheese platter: Abondance, Tome de chèvre,Comté, Swiss Gruyère, Beaufort.
This wine is pale gold in colour and very expressive on the nose with aromas of bright citrus fruit and white flowers. The palate has a lovely texture from the oak ageing, with concentrated flavours of white peach and vanilla balanced with racy acidity. 100% Chardonnay.
Winemaker: Gérard Fagnoni
Alcohol (ABV): 13 %
- We deliver on Thursdays and Fridays (cut off for orders respectively Monday and Tuesday at 10am).
- We deliver any order value, however you can get free delivery for orders above £100.
- We deliver Nationwide.
- Products can also be picked up Wednesday to Friday at our sister restaurant in Chiswick, London.
- If you are not happy with the quality of the products received, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07436569357 or use the live chat on our website. Our customer service team will do everything in their power to fix it!
- If you are unsure about any of the above or you have any other questions, just contact us and our team will answer any of your questions: we don't use bots and you will find only real people to talk to.