Lirac, Moulin des Chênes, Southern Rhône, France, 2016
Laurent and Julien Bréchet have long admired the potential of Lirac, in the Southern Rhône; when the owner of the Moulin des Chênes vineyard retired, they jumped at the chance to take over the vinegrowing there. Lirac lies to the west, across the river from Châteauneuf-du-Pape. It is a Rhône Cru, with a heritage of vinegrowing that is just as long as its easterly neighbour, although with mixed fortunes in comparison. Quality was varied in the past, but with the arrival of a younger generation of growers and more modern technology, the potential of Lirac has been realised. The Bréchet brothers have 16 hectares of vines in total there. The berries were destemmed and crushed and then fermented in stainless-steel vats at 25°C. The wine was kept on skins for 15 days with daily pumping over with rack and returns to ensure good colour and flavour extraction from the grapes. The wine was aged in concrete vats for 10 months before bottling.Conditions for Lirac are similar to Châteauneuf-du-Pape: both are Mediterranean in climate with over 2,500 hours of sunlight per year and a dry growing season that ensures consistently ripe, flavoursome wines. Both have predominantly stony soils (Lirac also has the large pebbles or 'Galets Roulés' of its neighbour) supported by red clay underneath. The Mistral wind keeps the crop healthy and concentrates flavours in the berries.
Food pairing ideas : Ossobuco alla Milanese, Scallops, Pan fried Foie gras, Ceps,Bresee chicken, Roast beef,Wild boar stew, Venison terrine.
This wine is deep crimson in colour, with aromas of strawberries and blackberries. On the palate, the wine has a velvety mouthfeel and fresh acidity. Redcurrant flavours continue through the mouthwatering finish. 37% Cinsault , 36% Syrah/Shiraz, 16% Grenache/Garnacha, 11% Mourvèdre
Feature(s): Vegan, Vegetarian
Winemaker: Philippe Cambie
Alcohol (ABV): 14 %
- We deliver on Thursdays and Fridays (cut off for orders respectively Monday and Tuesday at 10am).
- We deliver any order value, however you can get free delivery for orders above £100.
- We deliver Nationwide.
- Products can also be picked up Wednesday to Friday at our sister restaurant in Chiswick, London.
- If you are not happy with the quality of the products received, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07436569357 or use the live chat on our website. Our customer service team will do everything in their power to fix it!
- If you are unsure about any of the above or you have any other questions, just contact us and our team will answer any of your questions: we don't use bots and you will find only real people to talk to.