Jane Eyre, Gevrey-Chambertin 2017 - 75cl
Jane Eyre-Renard is originally from Melbourne. In 1998, she was working as a hairdresser when she asked a customer, who happened to be the wife of wine writer Jeremy Oliver, if she knew of any wineries where she could do work experience. The Olivers recommended Burgundy, which has since been an inextricable part of Jane’s life. She went on to gain experience working with Cullen in the Margaret River, Felton Road and Ata Rangi in New
Zealand and Ernie Loosen in the Mosel. She finally moved to Burgundy in 2004, and started working at Domaine des Comtes Lafon before becoming assistant winemaker at Domaine
Newman. Jane has developed her own micro-négociant business and rents a space in a small winery in Bligny-lès-Beaune which she shares with Dominique Lafon.
Jane Eyre’s wines remind you of where they come from, deftly crafted to show a balance of minerality, savoury tones, and purity of red fruit characters. With a network of grower friendships that only comes from living there, Jane has both the charm and the skills to secure parcels of fruit that beautifully showcase the complex and alluring sub-regions of Burgundy. This Pinot Noir comes from two parcels, located on the slopes of Gevrey-Chambertin, grown on soils of limestone base with marl, clay, schist and granite. The vines are between 35 and 55 years old.
Time in the vineyard and a minimum intervention approach in the winery is the hallmark of Jane Eyre’s winemaking style. The small parcels of low yielding fruit were hand harvested and destemmed (10-15% was whole-bunch pressed). Fermentation with indigenous yeast took place in stainless-steel tanks where a combination of gentle pump overs and punch downs were employed as necessary. The wine was then matured in French oak barriques, of which 20% was new. The wine was racked only once in October, before being bottled unfined and unfiltered.
Jane's Gevrey-Chambertin is an impressive expression of this prime Cru in the Côte de Nuits. The nose has cherry aromas, wild savoury characters with some trademark earthy Gevrey notes. The wine is well balanced and accessible with a lovely dark cherry fruit on the palate, fine grainy tannins and a lasting finish.
FOOD PAIRING: beef, veal, game and poultry.
Grape Varieties 100% Pinot Noir
Bottle Sizes 75cl
PALM OIL FREE
- We deliver on Thursdays and Fridays (cut off for orders respectively Monday and Tuesday at 10am).
- We deliver any order value, however you can get free delivery for orders above £100.
- We deliver Nationwide.
- Products can also be picked up Wednesday to Friday at our sister restaurant in Chiswick, London.
- If you are not happy with the quality of the products received, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07436569357 or use the live chat on our website. Our customer service team will do everything in their power to fix it!
- If you are unsure about any of the above or you have any other questions, just contact us and our team will answer any of your questions: we don't use bots and you will find only real people to talk to.