Bordeaux Supérieur, Château Mahon-Laville, France , 2019
The 14-hectare Château Laville in Sauternes is Jean-Christophe Barbe's family property. Professor of Oenology at Bordeaux University, he is mostly famous for his outstanding Sauternes (Decanter 2015 Sweet Bordeaux Trophy over £15), but also produces some stunning reds, albeit on a fairly small scale. Although the domaine is mainly planted with white grapes, Jean-Christophe has set aside a 1.3 hectare vineyard of red varieties, which is sold as 'Château Mahon-Laville'. Thanks to the team of pickers that are constantly on hand at Château Laville (to perform the various passes through the vineyard required to make top Sauternes), Jean-Christophe is able to wait and pick the Merlot and Cabernet grapes when they are ripe (which can be an issue in this part of Bordeaux), rather then when he has pickers available. 'Les Graves de Mahon-Laville' comes from 40 year old vines grown on gravel soils in 2.5 hectares of vineyard that are classified as Graves. The grapes were hand picked then spent three to four weeks on skins fermenting at 28°C-30°C. Malolactic fermentation took place in stainless-steel tanks at temperatures of 22°C followed by ageing for 12 months in barrel. Jean-Christophe's original 1.3 hectares of red grape varieties are located at Laville on a plot of land called Mahon, hence the name. Soils are predominantly clay and the average age of the vines is 15 years. The work that goes into it - leaf stripping to expose the fruit, crop thinning before véraison to lower yields and aid ripeness - all add to this great value wine.
Food pairing ideas : Sophisticated and elegant, they pair well with game meats, roast lamb, or hearty beef stews.
This wine has a classic Bordeaux nose with ripe, supple fruit on the palate and a grip on the finish that reminds you that you are drinking a claret. 80% Merlot , 20% Cabernet Sauvignon .
Feature(s): Sustainable, Vegan, Vegetarian
Winemaker: Jean-Christophe Barbe
Alcohol (ABV): 14 %
Acidity: 4.35 g/l
Residual sugar: 2 g/l
- We deliver on Thursdays and Fridays (cut off for orders respectively Monday and Tuesday at 10am).
- We deliver any order value, however you can get free delivery for orders above £100.
- We deliver Nationwide.
- Products can also be picked up Wednesday to Friday at our sister restaurant in Chiswick, London.
- If you are not happy with the quality of the products received, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07436569357 or use the live chat on our website. Our customer service team will do everything in their power to fix it!
- If you are unsure about any of the above or you have any other questions, just contact us and our team will answer any of your questions: we don't use bots and you will find only real people to talk to.