In 1860, Emile Cornillot started creating handmade confectionery from premises on rue Colbert, Lille, specializing in candies. The quality of the sweets meant that in 1885, he moved to larger premises on rue de l'Hôpital militaire. After the signing of the Franco-Russian Alliance in 1893, his son Louis starts marketing the sweets in Russia under the FRANCORUSSE brand. A second factory and a second store opened in Paris in 1901. And, the rest is history!