Cahors Malbec, Château de Chambert, South West France, 2016
Château de Chambert lies 30 kilometres west of the town of Cahors, between the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. Owned and run by Philippe Lejeune since 2007, with the additional support of consultant winemaker Stéphane Derenoncourt, the estate has already garnered considerable attention in France and is top critic Michel Bettane’s ‘One to Watch’. The elegant, modern wines are made from the deep-coloured Malbec variety, which traditionally produced the ‘black wines’ of Cahors.The grapes are separated by parcel and vinified spearately. After a pneumatic press, the free-run juice and pressings were separated. Fermentation took place with ambient yeasts at controlled temperatures of 25-30°C, and the cap was managed by a combination of pump-overs and plunging. The fermenting must spent 25 days on skins. Malolactic fermentation took place in barrel. The wine was matured for 12 months in french oak, 20% of which were new. Vineyards are planted with 85% Malbec and 15% Merlot at the highest part of the South Quercy limestone plateau (causse), at an average altitude of 300 metres above sea level. The soil contains two distinct geological components; red clay with high concentration of red which lends the wine power, spice and black fruit aromas; and white clay with limestone similar to that of Chablis, which produces minerality and finesse. Located between the Atlantic and Mediterranean, the unique mesoclimate takes effect especially towards harvest when hot winds from Africa aid grape ripening. Careful leaf-thinning and green harvesting ensure well exposed fruit. The vines are 25 years old and yields are low at around 28 hectolitres per hectare. The grapes are hand-harvested.
Food pairing ideas: Cahors is a Malbec based French red wine and is excellent with lighter cuts of beef, cassoulet, mushrooms, roast duck, duck confit, roast lamb, roast pork, mild blue cheese, shortribs, couscous and turkey.
This wine is beautifully dark and intense in colour. On the nose, it has refined ripe fruit aromas of blueberry and violet. On the palate, the tannins are silky and round and the mineral character on the finish balances the black fruit and ripe flavours. 85% Malbec , 15% Merlot .
Feature(s): Certified Organic, Sustainable, Vegan, Vegetarian, Practising Biodynamic
Winemaker: Philippe Lejeune
Alcohol (ABV): 13.5 %
Acidity: 3.55 g/l
Residual sugar: 0.2 g/l
- We deliver on Thursdays and Fridays (cut off for orders respectively Monday and Tuesday at 10am).
- We deliver any order value, however you can get free delivery for orders above £100.
- We deliver Nationwide.
- Products can also be picked up Wednesday to Friday at our sister restaurant in Chiswick, London.
- If you are not happy with the quality of the products received, you can email us at email@example.com or call us on 07436569357 or use the live chat on our website. Our customer service team will do everything in their power to fix it!
- If you are unsure about any of the above or you have any other questions, just contact us and our team will answer any of your questions: we don't use bots and you will find only real people to talk to.