Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence Rouge, Villa Baulieu, France, 2014
The Villa Baulieu estate is located within the crater of Provence's only volcano, located in Rognes. The estate has been family owned since its creation in 1576 and it is owned by the Guénat family today, who also own Château Beaulieu. The wines are made by Michel Fabre, a third generation vigneron whose keen attention to detail is focussed on making wines that express his region. The grapes were destemmed and then fermented in cement tanks with regular punch downs to allow for gentle extraction of colour and tannins. After 25 days, the wine was transferred to French oak barriques where malolactic fermentation took place. The wine remained in these barrels for 10-12 months.Fruit comes from a small north-east facing vineyard of eight hectares at an altitude of 400 metres with chalky, limestone soils. The Grenache is grown closer to the heart of the crater and the Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon grow on the slopes. This parcel was identified as exceptional by consultant winemaker Stéphane Derenoncourt, who aides Michel Fabre to make Villa Baulieu wines. The unique micro-climate of the vineyard allows the grapes to ripen but retain acidity from cooler night temperatures that the altitude provides, producing exceptional wines.
Food pairing ideas : as a general rule Syrah (Shiraz) pairs very well with grilled meats, vegetables, wild game and beef stew.
Deep crimson in colour, this wine reveals complex aromas of black berries, mocha and juniper, underlined by subtle notes of oak and gunflint. The palate has an expressive spicy texture with refined tannins and a nice depth. 50% Syrah/Shiraz , 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Grenache/Garnacha .
Feature(s): Vegan, Vegetarian
Winemaker: Michel Fabre
Alcohol (ABV): 13.5 %
Acidity: 5.5 g/l
Residual sugar: 0.2 g/l
- We deliver on Thursdays and Fridays (cut off for orders respectively Monday and Tuesday at 10am).
- We deliver any order value, however you can get free delivery for orders above £100.
- We deliver Nationwide.
- Products can also be picked up Wednesday to Friday at our sister restaurant in Chiswick, London.
- If you are not happy with the quality of the products received, you can email us at email@example.com or call us on 07436569357 or use the live chat on our website. Our customer service team will do everything in their power to fix it!
- If you are unsure about any of the above or you have any other questions, just contact us and our team will answer any of your questions: we don't use bots and you will find only real people to talk to.